This section of our web site attempts to explain the latest brain tumor treatments
that are in general use in plain English, with a brief overview of each, then
details on the treatments and where to find them. Unlike the rest of the "Clinical
Trials & Noteworthy Treatments For Brain Tumors" site, this section
is only the author's OPINIONS of the material.
Use it for general information, to get ideas of what is available out there,
but then discuss it with your own doctors.
If you disagree with anything said, have anything to add, or want to help
write a topic, please let us know.
This section is updated frequently - so check back often!
Some of the papers are in PDF format. These require you to have installed
the free PDF plug-in from Adobe.com Most new computers already have it. If
your computer can't open the file, go to adobe.com and
download the Adobe Acrobat Reader, then return here.
For the papers in PDF format, they will open up full screen without our menu
at top. To get back here, just use the BACK button on your browser, or the
- Metastatic Brain Tumors - Michael Schulder, MD Added 7/31/2020
- Highlights From ASCO 2020 (discuss them in our forum!) Added 5/30/2020
- Al Musella's thoughts on what he would do if he had a newly diagnosed gbm. https://virtualtrials.com/newsarticle.cfm?item=6333
- Treatment Options for Glioblastomas AND The Role of Supplements (including Anti-Oxidants) in Cancer Treatment By
Ben Williams, Ph.D. (Experimental Psychology) ** Updated Aug 2017
READ THIS FIRST!
- ONC-201 - an oral experimental treatment in clinical trials
- Articles by Stephen Western of Astrocytoma Options.com
- Carmustine - BCNU updated: 04/19/2020
- Gliadel Overview updated: 04/19/2020
Leading Edge Radiosurgery (12/2016) Among the best reported results!
- Three-dimensional Exoscope for Brain Tumor Surgery
- Introduction to Radiosurgery (added 2/24/18)
- Transcript of the FDA meeting for the approval of the Novo TTF 100A device (Optune). (This is a huge file - may take time to open)
- What is CED (Convection Enhanced Delivery)? This is a new form of CED that can be used long term.(added 10/28/2010)
- Article on the possible link between viruses - like CMV - and brain tumors
- Human Corticotropin-Releasing Factor (hCRF) (Xerecept) in Peritumoral
Brain Edema - a possible replacement for Decadron!
By Lisa U. Carr, MD, PhD
Atypical Teratoid Rhabdod Rumor (AT/RT).
- Neuroblate System - Laser surgery
- Vaccine Therapies for Brain Tumors
- Proton Beam Radiation (this is a .pdf file and requires the free pdf reader)
- Abstracts from ASCO 2007 (Reported by Hong Lan) Old but interesting!
- Email Communication for Patients with a life-threatening
illness - one way of dealing with keeping the family "in the loop"!
- Update to Social Security Disability Rules
- Brain Metastases - an overview (last updated 2/18/18)
- The Anti-angiogenic basis of metronomic
chemotherapy. (added 7/29/2004) - Doesn't specifically mention brain
tumors, but there are trials of this approach going on now with brain tumors.
This paper (which is on the technical side) explains the rationale for
- Future options of anti-angiogenic cancer therapy
- Boron Neutron Capture Therapy:
- Brain Tumor Guide - Newly diagnosed people should start
here first to get an overview of everything before exploring the rest of
- Brain Tumor Symptoms: Overview | Detailed
- 'Leading Edge' Gamma Knife radiosurgery for primary
malignant brain tumors.- this is a new way of using the gamma knife..
this paper is in a pdf. See instructions above if you have a problem
loading the paper.
- Immunotherapy for brain tumors. 2 papers by Dr. Roberta
- Temodar® (Temozolomide) For Brain
- What is a Karnofsky Score?
- High Dose Tamoxifen For Brain Tumors:
- Brain Tumor Virtual TrialAbstract
about our study!
- Seizures: What to do if you are having
By Virginia V. Jory, Ph.D.
By Danita Acquafredda And George Hunter
- What Are Clinical Trials
By Terri Armstrong, RN, MS, NP, CS
Neuro-Oncology Nurse Practitioner
Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia
- Fractionated Stereotactic Radiosurgery + Taxol
by Dr. Gil Lederman
Director, Radiation- Oncology
Staten Island University Hospital
- Gamma Knife Radiosurgery
By Kenneth Ott, M.D., F.A.C.S
Executive Director, San Diego Gamma Knife Center
Scripps Memorial Hospital, La Jolla, CA
- Childhood Hydrocephalus: Clinical Features,
Treatment, and the Slit-Ventricle Syndrome Explanation of the use of
shunts, by Dr. Arno Fried.
- 50 Questions to help communicate with people
who can't talk. By Jim Kenzig
- Thoughts on Alternative Treatments
Guest editorial by Dr. Robert Fink
Click HERE for a list
of FAQs and articles about brain tumors by Dr. Fink!
The material provided here is controversial and
is only the opinion of the person noted as author of a topic. It is
provided for informational purposes only and should not be considered as
medical advice or instruction.
Consult your health care professional for advice relating to a medical problem