AACR Science Policy Alert
Posted on: 11/10/2006
AACR Science Policy Alert ** AACR Science Policy Alert
To: All AACR Members
From: Dr. Geoffrey M. Wahl, President; Dr. William G. Nelson V, Chair, Science Policy & Legislative Affairs Committee; Dr. Margaret Foti, CEO
Date: Monday, November 6, 2006 by e-mail
Re: Election Eve Push: Write Your Legislators To Support a 5% Increase in Funding for the National Institutes of Health and The National Cancer Institute
-Please Make Contact By November 14
- The AACR is urging its members once again to write to their legislators to encourage their support for increasing funding for cancer research.
- 5% Increase. The cancer community has generally united around support for a five percent increase for the National Institutes of Health and the National Cancer Institute for FY 2007. The current proposed bills on the table provide for no increase for the NIH and a $40 million cut for the NCI.
- On November 14, legislators will return to Washington after the elections and try to wrap up their unfinished appropriations bills. NOW is the time to remind them of the importance of increasing funding for biomedical research.
- Sample E-Letter. AACR has prepared a brief sample e-letter that you may use to contact your Members of Congress. Click here to view the "Support a 5% Increase" e-letter. You may use or modify the letter. Then enter your contact information and e-letters will be sent automatically to your Senators and Representative.
- You can also visit the Research!America Web site's "Your Candidates. Your Health" to see where your Members of Congress stand on important medical, health, and scientific research issues.
Please take action as soon as possible to make your voice heard. Thank you
Click HERE to return to brain tumor news headlines