Tuesday October 23 12:36 PM ET
"Officials Apologize to Harrison"
Officials Apologize to Harrison
By BETH GARDINER, Associated Press Writer
LONDON (AP) - Health officials apologized Tuesday to former
Beatle George Harrison and the schizophrenic man who stabbed him as
a new report disclosed major lapses in the attacker's treatment
before he broke into Harrison's home.
The sharply critical report said workers at the British
hospitals and clinics that saw Michael Abram failed to properly
assess and treat him. It criticized staff who discharged him from
one hospital about a month before the attack, leaving him to walk
home alone early in the morning, and said he should have been put
in a treatment program 18 months earlier.
"We wish to make a full and formal apology to George Harrison
and his family and to Michael Abram and his family for the failures
in Mr. Abram's care and treatment prior to the appalling events of
December 1999," said the statement by the St. Helens and Knowsley
Health Authority and Hospitals National Health Service Trust.
"We wish to reassure the Harrison and Abram families that
lessons have been learned," it added.
The report was commissioned by the St. Helens and Knowsley
Health Authority, which oversees health services in an area
northwest of London.
"There is no doubt, with hindsight, that there were
shortcomings in the mental health services we provided," said Ken
Sanderson, chief executive of the St. Helens and Knowsley Hospitals
National Health Service Trust. "Michael Abram had complex mental
health problems which we failed to comprehensively assess and
Abram, 35, now detained indefinitely in a psychiatric hospital,
welcomed the report's condemnation of the care system, but said it
should have specifically identified the workers who failed to treat
"Unless they're put on the spot, how can we be sure they won't
make the same mistakes again?" his statement said.
He also apologized to Harrison, now 58, saying he was "deeply
embarrassed and ashamed about the terrible thing that I did."
"I feel very guilty about it, but I can't turn back time and
all I can say is that I am very sorry," he said. "But I hope
people may understand what happened to me and appreciate that it
was not my fault. Physically I did it, but I was not in control of
my own mind at the time."
Abram was accused by prosecutors of breaking into Harrison's
home in Henley-on-Thames, west of London, and stabbing him
repeatedly, puncturing a lung. He also was charged with attacking
Harrison's wife, Olivia, when she came to her husband's defense.
A judge last year ordered jurors hearing the case to find Abram
innocent by reason of insanity after three psychiatrists testified
he had been a paranoid schizophrenic since 1990.
He told psychiatrists he was on a "mission from God" and
believed he was possessed by the former Beatle when he rampaged
through the Harrisons' 120-room mansion.
Abram had been in and out of psychiatric facilities for years
and sought help in the weeks before the Dec. 30, 1999, attack.
The report said the health service's failings were
"unacceptable," but added that none of the staff who treated
Abram could have predicted the attack.
Harrison's own health has made headlines in recent months. In
June, he underwent a course of radiation therapy in Switzerland. He
issued a statement at the time telling his fans not to worry and
refused to comment on reports that he was battling a brain tumor.
Email this story - View most popular | Printer-friendly format
Click HERE to return to brain tumor news headlines